What the Muslims Want
As Previously Outlined by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad
This is the question asked most frequently by both white people and black
people. The answers to this question I shall state as simply as possible.
1. We want freedom. We want full and complete freedom.
2. We want justice. Equal justice under the law. We want justice applied
equally to all, regardless of creed or class or color.
3. We want equality of opportunity. We want equal membership in society
with the best in civilized society.
4. We want our people in America whose parents or grandparents were descendants
from slaves, to be allowed to establish a separate state or territory
of their own - either on this continent or elsewhere. We believe that
our former slave masters are obligated to provide such land and that the
area must be fertile and minerally rich. We believe that our former slave
masters are obligated to maintain and supply our needs in this separate
territory for the next 20 to 25 years--until we are able to produce and
supply our own needs. Since we cannot get along with them in peace and
equality, after giving them 400 years of our sweat and blood and receiving
in return some of the worst treatment human beings have ever experienced.
We believe our contributions to this land and the suffering forced upon
us by white America justifies our demand for complete separation in a
state or territory of our own.
5. We want freedom for all Believers of Islam now held in federal prisons.
We want freedom for all black men and women now under death sentences
in innumerable prisons in the North as well as the South. We want every
black man and woman to have the freedom to accept or reject being separated
from the slave master’s children and establish a land of their own.We
know that the above plan for the solution of black and white conflict
is the best and only answer to the problem between the two people.
6. We want an immediate end to the police brutality and mob attacks against
the so-called Negro throughout the United States.We believe that the Federal
government should intercede to see that black men and women tried in the
courts receive justice in accordance with the laws of the land--or allow
us to build a new nation for ourselves, dedicated to justice, freedom
7. As long as we are not allowed to establish a state or territory of
our own, we demand not only equal justice under the laws of the United
States, but equal employment opportunities--NOW!We do not believe that
after 400 years of free or nearly free labor, sweat and blood which has
helped America become rich and powerful, that so many thousands of black
people should have to subsist on relief, charity or live in poor houses.
8. We want the government of the United States to exempt our people from
ALL taxation as long as we are deprived of equal justice under the laws
of the land.
9. We want equal education--but separate schools up to 16 for boys and
18 for girls on the condition that the girls be sent to women’s
colleges and universities. We want all black children educated, taught
and trained by their own teachers.Under such schooling system, we believe
we will make a better nation of people. The United States government should
provide, free, all necessary text books and equipment, schools and college
buildings. The Muslim teachers shall be left free to teach and train their
people in the way of righteousness, decency and self-respect.
10. We believe that intermarriage or race mixing should be prohibited.
We want the religion of Islam taught without hindrance or suppression.
These are some of the things that we, the Muslims, want for our people
in North America.
What the Muslims Believe
As Previously Outlined by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad
1. WE BELIEVE in One God Whose proper Name is Allah.
2. WE BELIEVE in the Holy Quran and in the Scriptures of all the Prophets
3. WE BELIEVE in the truth of the Bible, but we believe that it has been
tampered with and must be reinterpreted so that mankind will not be snared
by falsehoods that have been added to it.
4. WE BELIEVE in Allah’s Prophets and the Scriptures they brought
to the people.
5. WE BELIEVE in the resurrection of the dead--not in physical resurrection
but in mental resurrection. We believe that the so-called Negroes are
most in need of mental resurrection; therefore, they will be resurrected
first.Furthermore, we believe we are the people of God’s choice,
as it has been written that God would choose the rejected and despised.
We can find no other persons fitting this description in these last days
more than the so-called Negroes in America. We believe in the resurrection
of the righteous.
6. WE BELIEVE in the judgement; we believe this first judgement will take
place as God revealed: in America.
7. WE BELIEVE this is the time in history for the separation of the so-called
Negroes and the so-called white Americans. We believe the black man should
be freed in name as well as in fact. By this we mean that he should be
freed from the names imposed on him by his former slave masters. Names
which identified him as being the slave master’s slave. We believe
that if we are free indeed, we should go in our own names--the black people
of the earth.
8. WE BELIEVE in justice for all, whether in God or not; we believe as
others, that we are due equal justice as human beings. We believe in equality--as
a nation--of equals. We do not believe that we are equal with our ex-slavemasters
in the status of "freed slaves".We recognize and respect American
citizens as independent people and we respect their laws which govern
9.WE BELIEVE that the offer of integration is hypocritical and is made
by those who are trying to deceive the black people into believing that
their 400 year-old open enemies of freedom, justice and equality are,
all of a sudden, their "friends". Furthermore, we believe that
such deception is intended to prevent black people from realizing that
the time in history has arrived for the separation from the whites of
this nation. If the white people are truthful about their professed friendship
toward the so-called Negro, they can prove it by dividing up America with
their slaves.We do not believe that America will ever be able to furnish
enough jobs for her own millions of unemployed in addition to the jobs
for the 40,000,000 black people as well.
10. WE BELIEVE that we who declared ourselves to be righteous Muslims,
should not participate in wars which take the lives of humans. We do not
believe this nation should force us to take part in such wars; for we
have nothing to gain from it unless America agrees to give us the necessary
territory wherein we may have something to fight for.
11. WE BELIEVE our women should be respected and protected as the women
of other nationalities are respected and protected.
12. WE BELIEVE that Allah (God) appeared in the Person of Master W. Fard
Muhammad, July 1930; the long awaited "Messiah" of the Christians
and the "Mahdi" of the Muslims. We believe further and lastly
that Allah is God and besides HIM there is no God and He will bring about
a universal government of peace wherein we all can live in peace together.